Thursday, June 14, 2012
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Waffles
Makes 8 square waffles
1 3/4 c. white whole wheat flour or spelt flour
1/4 c. ground flax seed (or use an extra 1/4 c. of flour)
1 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
2 t. pumpkin pie spice
3 T. sucanat (dehydrated natural sugar cane) or brown sugar
3/4 c. pureed or canned pumpkin*
1 t. vanilla
1 c. milk
1/4 c. melted butter or coconut oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Use any or all of the following for serving:
Pure maple syrup
1. While your waffle iron is preheating, stir together flour, flax, salt, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice in a small mixing bowl.
2. In a larger bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, milk, butter and beaten eggs with a wire whisk until thoroughly combined.
3. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well mixed. The batter will be fairly thick and more "scoopable" than "pourable".
4. Scoop about 1/2 c. batter (for each square waffle) onto hot waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer instructions for your iron.
5. Serve warm with syrup, fruit, yogurt and/or nuts.
*Feel free to substitute another fruit or veggie puree for the pumpkin and change up the spices. Use sweet potato, squash, zucchini, applesauce, mashed banana, etc.