Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Honey Oat Pull-Apart Rolls

Please forgive the "lumpy" rolls...my kids helped with these! :)
 
A couple weeks ago, I saw these Pull Apart Oat Rolls over at Money Saving Mom and thought I would try out the yummy bread machine yeast rolls. They are soft, have a great flavor and are the perfect way to have freshly baked bread with very minimal effort. Pull-apart rolls are an easy addition to a soup and salad supper and the baked rolls freeze and reheat well.

I tweaked the recipe (I'm almost always changing something) and took them to Easter dinner at my mother-in-law's house. The original recipe makes a 9x13 pan of 24 rolls. Obviously, Crystal over at Money Saving Mom has a HUGE bread machine. Hahaha! After I added all of the ingredients I quickly realized these were going to overflow my machine. My husband was on "dough duty" while I ran to the store and he had to keep opening the lid and punching them down until I got home. I wish I had been here to see that!

The next time I made them, I halved the original recipe, substituted all honey for the sweetener and switched up the flour ratios. I wanted them a little heavier on the whole wheat side. Feel free to check out her recipe HERE and follow it as written if you like (or cut it in half if you don't have a mammoth bread machine!).

One 8x8 pan of these Honey Oat Pull-Apart Rolls makes 12 rolls, which is perfect for our family of 4. We used a few of the leftover rolls to make mini sandwiches for the kids one day for lunch. I think I will use these as my go-to bun recipe for cheeseburger sliders at family cookouts this summer. Maybe I should invest in a bigger bread machine...


Honey Oat Pull-Apart Rolls

Serves 12
Adapted from Money Saving Mom

1 c. hot water 
2 T. butter, cubed
1/4 c. honey
3/4 t. salt
3/4 c. rolled or quick oats
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 pkg. instant active yeast (approximately 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons)
melted butter for tops of baked rolls

Add ingredients to the pan of the bread machine, in the order listed. Set machine to "dough" setting and turn on. (Use the shortest dough cycle if you have multiple dough cycles to choose from.)

Grease an 8x8 pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Remove dough from the bread machine at the end of the cycle and divide into 12 equal pieces. If dough is too sticky, flour your hands and/or add a little more flour to the dough. Roll the dough into balls and place in the pan so that they touch one another.

Cover lightly with a paper towel or piece of waxed paper and place in a warm location to rise until double, approximately 30-40 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes. If rolls are browning too quickly, tent the pan with aluminum foil for the remaining cooking time. Brush rolls with melted butter immediately after baking. Serve the rolls warm with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment