Friday, January 18, 2013

Books I am Reading in January


Reach; How to Use Your Social Media Influence for the Glory of God was a free e-book that I downloaded to my Kindle a couple weeks ago. It must have been a limited time offer, because it is $4.99 on Amazon right now. I can't say that I would pay $4.99 for it, even though it seems to have amazing reviews. I am only about 1/3 of the way finished, but it is a decent book so far and I hope to wrap it up by the end of the weekend.


How to Make Homemade Bread is another e-book I got for free on my Kindle. It is regularly a $2.99 download and well worth the $3 in my opinion. If you have never made your own bread, are looking for some great tips for improving your bread baking skills (with or without a bread machine) or you just want some fabulous recipes for cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, dinner rolls, etc.--this is the book for you! Jill Cooper and Tawra Kellam's e-book is under 50 pages and easy to read in one sitting. I will certainly be coming back to it over and over, simply to try out some of the recipes.



Carolyn Slaughter, the wife of our church's lead pastor, is the author of Following Jesus: Steps to a Passionate Faith and the teacher of a class my husband and I are taking at church called A Follower's Life. This class will allow us to become members of Ginghamsburg United Methodist Church, where we have attended regularly for over 11 years. This is a 12 chapter book that coincides with our 12 week course. So far I have only read the first two chapters, but each have involved scripture verses to look up along with questions to answer and prayer.


To be totally honest, I have not really started this book yet. I downloaded 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life on the 31st of December and intended to start it right after the New Year. Good intentions never panned out, unfortunately, and I have not made it past the table of contents. My plan is to start this book on Monday, after finishing Reach over the weekend. I will have to continue into February to finish up all 21 days, but I suppose that's okay. :)


I have not read a fiction book in well over two years. Before children (and the distraction of social media!), I used to read an entire novel in a weekend--sometimes in a day if it was really captivating. I have liked Karen Kingsbury for a long time and when I saw this book of hers at a local used book store, I picked it up for half of the retail. It is hardback, a bit shorter than her typical novels, but I can appreciate that as a busy mom with barely any time to get caught up in the world of Christian Fiction. I haven't started this one quite yet, but it's on my list for January. Seeing as how January is half over already, I best get started soon! If you are interested in The Bridge, you can order it in print or for Kindle by clicking on the book's cover, above.



Last, but not least, I am reading Mr. Popper's Penguins to my kindergarten son, Jackson. I have read Mr. Popper's Penguins before, when I was doing my student teaching back in 2000, but after 13 years I might as well be reading it for the first time because I don't remember a single thing! This is a humorous book, written at about a 3rd grade level, that provides for wonderful discussion of vocabulary, geography, and much more. The chapters are extremely short, which is perfect for a bedtime read-aloud. It also keeps my five year old asking for "just one more chapter". I try to pick out chapter books that have been made into movies, as I know that is a selling point for Jackson. He likes to compare the book and the movie--plus, it gives us an incentive to get through the book in a shorter amount of time. We have also read Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little this school year. We really loved both of them, along with their movie counterparts. 

I am still on the hunt for a couple of really good books on the topic of marriage, if you have one to recommend! Are you reading anything right now? I'd love to hear about it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment